As a student at George Mason University, you can strengthen your resilience and overall well-being by earning a Resilience Badge.
“Mason’s Resilience Badge was an inspiring workshop that pushed me to become more aware about growing and being a better person…” – A Mason student who earned the badge
Mason’s Resilience Badge is a fully online, asynchronous learning opportunity that will allow you to further develop your resilience through content knowledge and practices, all of which are backed by the science of resilience. Deepening your own knowledge in these areas and honing your self-awareness will allow your thinking to become more flexible, more adaptable, and more creative. This will help you when it comes to solving problems, making decisions, and building the life you want. Completing this program will contribute to your ability to thrive in college and beyond.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Discover what resilience is.
- Engage resilience through a growth mindset.
- Deepen your understanding of optimism to benefit resilience.
- Explore fear in the context of resilience.
- Find ways to respond to stress from a place of resilience.
The six modules will conclude with the development of an Individual Resilience Plan that will help you to think about resilience beyond this badge experience. This plan will support you in continuing to develop your resilience and to leverage it in reaching your goals (personal, professional, and/or academic).
By successfully completing each module, you will be able to:
- Explain the benefits of resilience.
- Define what resilience means in everyday life.
- Explain how you will use resilience to further your personal and professional growth.
Earning the Badge
By completing the requirements for each module, you will receive a Resilience Badge issued through the Education Design Lab and hosted through Acclaim. This shareable, digital file is one that you can list on your resume, add to your LinkedIn account, and use to distinguish your skillset from that of others.
How to Enroll
The workshop content is accessible via Blackboard.
To enroll in the organization, send your name, G#, and Mason email address to ResBadge@gmu.edu.
You can enroll in the Resilience Badge by logging into Blackboard. Click on Life@Mason (top right of your screen). Select Sign Up Now and then select Submit.
Questions? Learn more on our Resilience Badge FAQ page.
Student feedback from earlier versions of the Resilience Badge that was offered in a face-to-face format was positive. Read what they have to say in this article and in the testimonials below:
- “This is a great learning experience to improve on self-discovery and how to overcome adversity.”
- “If you are looking for an opportunity to build your resilience capacity and get to know yourself on a deeper level, this is a great workshop for that.”
- “I have shared the badge on my LinkedIn profile and I’m planning to talk about the experience and what I gained from it in my interviews.”
- “I hope to improve my chances of acquiring a job, as having a unique certificate will make me stand out.”
- “I will definitely use the content learned in job interviews where similar situations will apply.”
- “Mason’s Resilience Badge was an inspiring workshop that pushed me to become more aware about growing and being a better person, even if resiliency is a lifelong journey (as are many things).”